Re: [OM] Big Chomp No Chew

Subject: Re: [OM] Big Chomp No Chew
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 07:26:31 -0500
On Wed, Mar 28, 2012, at 06:38 PM, Ken Norton wrote:

> > downsampling will too often blow some highlights
>
> I suspect what happened is that during the editing process I moved the
> highlights up a ways to get a little crisper of a look. Frankly, I
> don't know what else to do in this case as the flowers really have no
> texture or patterns that are missed. At least not any that the E-1
> could capture. It's part of my own style that is influenced by
> shooting B&W where I like to top and tail my image's dynamic range.

As I see it, life is full of blown highlights. Photography needs a few
to be somewhat realistic.

I really agree on BW.  In most cases BW without some speculars and all
the whites toned down to printable values is a very dull photograph.  So
why do we do that to color photographs?

Joel W.

                          wherever you are