[OM] Boggle Brain

Subject: [OM] Boggle Brain
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 21:40:16 -0500
Well, consider me boggled. I'm not sure I ever expected to see
anything like this.

A particular gentleman here in Iowa, which Joel, Bill and Michael have
met has been quietly adding to his E-kit. I ran into him last night at
a restaurant and we got together this evening for a shoot.

Last time we met, he had the 150/2. That is one seriously sweet lens.
He may have even had the 7-14 at that time, along with the 14-54,
50-200 and the 50/2. But the draw tonight was the 300/2.8

That is one serious chunk o glass and metal. Frankly, one thing that
was most stunning was how fast that thing focused. My E-1 was in hog
heaven with it on the snout. I'm sure a review of it is coming sooner
or later.  I took a bunch of pictures and could tell that whatever
secret sauce Olympus put into this lens they must have used up a good
allotment of the world supply of it. I'd be tempted to just shrug my
shoulders, but they're a bit sore right now.

I could go on, but don't want to attract too much abuse from Moose. :)

So, we return back to his house. The wife is still at a meeting, so we
go downstairs into the man-cave where all the photo stuff is scattered
around. I take some comparison pictures of the lenses, and we look at
pictures that he's taken over the past year or so...

Something catches my eye. Now, understand that I had asked him earlier
if he had just the one "normal zoom" and he responded, yup--the 14-54.
But I noted a slight hesitation. OK, let that one slide. Something not
quite right about that answer.

Sitting on the desk was this DZ lens covered in mud, twigs and grass.
Now, remember that this guy is a biologist type and treats all his
equipment to copious amounts of natural environment. I'm looking at
this thing from halfway across the room and I'm trying to figure out
what DZ lens is of that size and shape. I knew what else he had and
this was much larger diameter than any of those.

Yup. It's the 14-35/2. Now, I'm clueless what kind of "tobacco" those
Zuiko engineers were smoking when they designed it, but that's a lens
which is simply unreal. Honestly, this thing is the spiritual
successor to the 35-80/2.8. The imagery through the viewfinder and in
the pictures has me almost speechless.

Almost. But again, I am on the verge of risking a Moose dropping.

I've got to digest what I've seen tonight. Something just ain't right
with that boy.

AG Schnozz