Re: [OM] IMG: An Occasional Flower on Friday-Jim

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: An Occasional Flower on Friday-Jim
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 21:45:18 -0700
On 3/24/2012 11:38 AM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> Thanks, Rick.  I set exposure compensation to -.7 and shoot RAW.  Usually, I
> can adjust enough in the RAW converter to salvage the highlights.  But not
> always.

Here, you seem to have done a perfect job of avoiding clipped highlights. OTH,
the image is sort of flat looking, not an
uncommon result of lowered contrast from highlight recovery.

If shooting at low ISO with a low noise camera, an alternate approach is to use
more negative exposure compensation.
This leaves the life in the highlights, but requires bringing up mid and low
tones.

Or one may simply bring back the life with Curves, LCE, etc.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Nichols/Tulips_After_Rain.htm>

Not as bad on the double daffy, but still seems somewhat flat.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Nichols/Double_Daffodil_2.htm>

Pick It Up Moose