Re: [OM] Thursday's Salamander

Subject: Re: [OM] Thursday's Salamander
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 22:19:28 -0700
On 3/29/2012 9:45 PM, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> That is one nice newt Moose - very lugubrious!

Yeah, I like that name. :-)

Just to keep you on the tech straight and narrow, this is a salamander, but not
a newt. OTH, a newt is a type of
salamander.
<http://www.californiaherps.com/identification/salamandersid/salamanders.id2.html>

We also have California newts around here, but not in my immediate
neighborhood. Not the right habitat. The newts live
most of the year away from water as air breathers in the dry hills. Then they
have dry, rough skin and roundish tails.
To breed, they come down to streams and pools and enter. There, their gills
develop, their skin goes smooth and slippery
and their tails develop top and bottom fins for use in swimming.

Wrong camera, wrong light/time of day, murky waters - still, you can see how
the tail changes in the water from the
above link's 'dry' shots.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=SFBayArea/UC_Botanic_Garden&image=SAM_0836croof40.jpg>
don't know if this one was taking a break, ostracized, or what. The rest were
under the lily pads, getting up close and
personal.

They cavort in a weeks long orgy, deposit their eggs and head back to the hills.

Eft Watcher Moose