[OM] Varicose and Sundried

Subject: [OM] Varicose and Sundried
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 16:14:22 -0500
It's been a few weeks since I've written a totally pointless post. So
here goes today's installment.

1. The Panasonic DMC-L1 is a miserable camera to get decent Raw files
out of. It's a rare converter program that gets the structure of the
Raw files correct and even a rarer one that can get the curves right.
I've found the files to be rather frustrating to work with. Recently,
I've been working with the in-camera settings and setting the camera
to produce in-camera JPEGs along with the Raw files. Turns out that
with some interesting and failed sense-of-logic settings, I've gotten
far better in-camera JPEGs than I've been able to get files through
converters. It's no Olympus, but the files aren't bad. If nothing
else, at least they give me sample images to work from.

2. DZ 300mm F2.8.  Holy cow, Spiderman! What a lens. Drool factor is
off the charts. Slobber city. I'll never get one, but I'm glad I got
to experience using one.

3. DZ 14-35mm F2. I'm in looooooooooooooooooooove. This is the lens
which could keep me in Four-Thirds. It really is to Four-Thirds what
the 35-80/2.8 is to the OM system. If this thing said "Leica" on it,
it would sell for $10,000.

4. Spring has sprung. The tulips are jumping out of the ground. I've
been taking a few pictures, but mostly been too busy to enjoy the
fireworks. :(

5. DD#2, who is 13 years old, had an interesting homework assignment
for her social studies class. The teacher said that they had to do a
presentation of how a bill is turned into a law in I think 11 easy
steps. Oh, and to make things more interesting, the students had to do
a 11 step how-to of whatever. Final presentation material was up to
the student. So, she decided to put together a video of the care and
feeding of a small dog. It's a 6 minute video that she did entirely on
her own with Microsoft's movie maker software and her digital camera.
The video work is supurb, the editing excellent, the storyline
sublime. I realize that I'm her father so I'm a bit biased, but
doggone it, this thing is A+ material and actually awefully close to
pro-grade work.

I asked her if the video production was required (with some schools it
could be) or how many other students were going to do something like
this. She answered "no, half the computers don't even work and the
teachers don't have a clue". Oh, and that probably no other student
was going to do a video presentation. So, where did she learn all
this? On her own. Totally self-taught. I do realize that Movie Maker
does a ton of stuff for you and makes stuff like this pretty easy, but
not to this level AND it doesn't give you a storyline either and it
doesn't do the camera work.

It really was good. Really good. Take it to the local ad-agency and
get a job good.

AG