[OM] Better color

Subject: [OM] Better color
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 12:58:00 -0400 (EDT)
Well, yes and no. Clearly preferences of what is optimal may differ but
perception of nuances seems to have a farily tight normal distribution.
It is debatable whether true tetrachromats exist--if they do they,
would be women---take that back. A phenotypically normal tetrachromat
XXY male could exist with mosaic Klinefelter's.

Perhaps easier to visualize than a SMI is an analysis like below:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA900/AA900IMATEST.HTM

Compare A900 to even a D3 aRGB--a bit more deviation than from "ideal"
in D3 though the latter is no slouch and destroys the a900 in high ISO
performance. The denser CFA (colored filter array) in tha A900 is a
double edged sword.

There are many reports of portrait photogs noted a subtle magenta drift
in Caucasion skin tones with the OM5DII that is difficult to prevent
pre-shot and has to be fixed in post.
The Apple phone 4S cam with probable SMI in the 40's was in no way as
accurate as my G9 or FF. Canyon with a shot of Marnie/orchids/kitchen
counter--in fact it was waay off as quick test. The WB is not easy to
set preshot--perhaps should visit the app store but I don't usually
bother with that cam a whole bunch though it has often replaced a
scanner for manuscripts with jotnotpro---cool/quick /convenient for
that.
Nice orchid shots-blah.

SMI of 75 for the LX5 is still plenty good but I bet it wouldn't be
that hard to find conditions where the difference with an SMI of 87 of
the A900 would be readily discernable. I think the only accurate color
shot of my true purple clematis AND accurate skin tones (checked
against the real Marnie in same light) along with complex many shades
of green foliage may have been with Portra 160. I did not give the
digital files to Moose for a more professional PP attempt however.

Be that as it may, I do like Bob's perception and preferences for
pleasing colors whatever sensor he uses.

Off Color Phone, Mike

Despite attempts to use mathematics to stratify color perception, the
cruel
fact remains that no two humans see color exactly the same. The
liberating
reality is that color is subjective. Live with it. Embrace it.

--Bob