Re: [OM] CHP enforcement was Re: (OM) OT Really OT :-(

Subject: Re: [OM] CHP enforcement was Re: (OM) OT Really OT :-(
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 11:16:58 -0700
On 4/4/2012 8:58 AM, Siddiq Siddiqui-Ali wrote:
> ... So when a roadside officer initially pings a car via radar (or handheld
> laser for motorcycle officers), it's just
> to figure out if a car is far enough above the limit to be worth pursuing,
> and then they confirm that when they come
> up behind you? In theory, cars passing by stationary CHP can then immediately
> slow down and thus when shadowed/paced,
> are within the legal limit?

I've done it more than once. :-)   However, and it's a big one, it may depend
on local jurisdiction law. Especially if
you see a "Speed checked by Radar" sign on a freeway or state highway, it is
entirely possible for a Chippie to nail you
with radar/laser and cite you under local ordinance. If it's a marked
car/cycle, that's legit.

>> The rulings about speed traps do not apply to local ordinances. So a Highway
>> Patrolperson may use radar on the freeway
>> and cite you under local law, but not under the CVC.
> Ah, very good to know! I've only got one speeding ticket, sadly, because I
> happened to be in the right (aka passing lane, not 'fast lane') on CA395, few
> miles out from Bishop, and well, passing a pack of cars, I was the fastest at
> 83 or something (posted limit 70). Saw the CHP officer on the opposing
> shoulder few hundred yards out as I crested a hill, and I knew I was gone.
> Slowed down immediately, but he came up a mile or two later, and handed me a
> nice ticket :( Should have known better... CA395 passes through all manner of
> small towns who probably have a chunk of revenue generated this way.

Yup.

Cruisin' Moose