Re: [OM] And yet another dog photo

Subject: Re: [OM] And yet another dog photo
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 14:19:36 -0400
The printing and image trimming process is not terribly precise.
Therefore the image is always printed at a slightly larger size than the
nominal size.  When the paper is die-cut it will be the nominal size but
the cut lines could appear anywhere within the bleed area. The
additional size that's added is referred to as the "bleed" and is,
AFAIK, a constant independent of print size.  If memory serves me right
it's 1/8" (0.125) all around for Miller's and Mpix (a subsidiary of
Miller's).  If I want to have them make an 8x10 print I crop the image
at 8.25"x10.25" to add the bleed.  I also resize the full image with
bleed at their stated resolution number of 250 dpi and sharpen at that
size.  That should guarantee that there will be no diddling with the
image at all.

Printing at home with your own ink jet printer does the same thing.  Try
printing a 4x6 borderless image on a 5x7 piece of paper and then measure
the size of the image area.  It will be larger than 4x6".  The
difference you measure is the bleed added by your printer.

Chuck Norcutt

On 4/4/2012 1:57 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> Chuck,
>
> Can you explain the term "bleed" to me?  I've seen that used in some other
> instances concerning sizing of images for book publication, but never
> understood what it meant.
>
> Jim Nichols
> Tullahoma, TN USA

>>> hilt. Then in editing I do whatever sharpening to correct for ID10T