Re: [OM] Andrews review of the X-Pro-1, was cars

Subject: Re: [OM] Andrews review of the X-Pro-1, was cars
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 13:31:16 -0500
> that the result meets the design specs.  I have a sneaky suspicion that
> it does meet the design specs... back over to Fuji now.

Lucas Electronics all over again.

This is on thing that Olympus gets right almost always.

So, last night I was photographing a school musical. Sitting right in
the front. I used the DMC-L1 with the 24/2.8 and 100/2. Turned out
great. Only problem is that Panasonic, in their infinite wisdom of not
actually using real-life photographers in their product development,
placed a BRIGHT green LED on the back of the camera by the on-off
switch to let you know the camera is on. Foolishly, I didn't have any
gaffers tape with me, so I had to have my thumb over the light most of
the time.

I'm seeing a pattern here. A couple companies have tried producing
retro (traditional) camera designs which make the heart go all
pitter-patter at their sight, but end up failing miserably not because
the overall design is wrong, just the execution.

As another example of the DMC-L1's failure to be designed by
photographers--when you adjust the exposure-compensation dial, the
monitor comes on. Normally not a problem. but again, during the
theature application where you are trying to be stealthy... It's dark,
your eyes are adjusted to the dim lighting and even dimmer viewfinder
and you make an adjustment to the exposure compensation. All of a
sudden the back of the camera lights up like a carnival and your
eyesight is shot for the next five minutes.

AG