Re: [OM] Andrews review of the X-Pro-1, was cars

Subject: Re: [OM] Andrews review of the X-Pro-1, was cars
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 18:08:52 -0500
> The one I used wasn't a beta unit.

In which case, it's gloves off. If the basic concept is that in a
modern camera the hardware and software together become one then the
camera is severely flawed and somebody needs to be whacked from the
employment rolls at Fuji.

Blunt? Maybe, but honest. I know that I wouldn't have survived as a
product manager with a screw-up like this.

> I'm not sure that I want to start a Cosina rumour based on something as
> flimsy as the viewfinder dioptres (! but it would make sense for Fuji to do
> it. It's undercut by the fact that Fuji was able to make the X-Pan for
> Hasselblad - they can build a rangefinder well enough themselves and I don't
> think they've ever outsourced their lenses have they? I'm tempted to think
> that Cosina would have done a better job - the Bessa 3's and 4's are very
> well made.

Fuji downsized a lot of their ability to manufacture this camera
inhouse. I have every reason to believe the X100 is inhouse, but the
X-Pro-1 looks like the child of another mother. The lens design is
absolutely Fuji--no doubt about that. That company knows how to design
and build extremely high-quality lenses. Just look at the TV cameras
to know that. But Cosina has positiioned themselves as the goto
company for making specialty cameras that require some old-school
technologies. It's been a LONG time since the X-Pan was built.

> Yup, it's the firmware. What makes you think it's sigmoid?

It's an incestious industry over there in Japan. Granted, the S-series
of Nikon-bodied DSLRs had their oddities, but Fuji never made such
wholesale boneheaded mistakes in their software. They're bad, but not
THAT bad. The only other company capable of missing the mark by this
much is Sigma.

AG