[OM] IMG: More Lenses and Snowball

Subject: [OM] IMG: More Lenses and Snowball
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 19:51:09 -0500
Cc: Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I have a few modern lenses, but much of the time I use lenses from the past,
adapted as necessary.  I decided to see how a couple of these older lenses
captured a Snowball bloom.

First, since this is a 75-yr old plant, I went back to the oldest lens that I
have, a Ross/London Symmetrical from the 1880s, 8-inch focal length and
Waterhouse stops starting at f/8.  This was mounted on my E-510 using a bellows
and a stack of extension tubes.  Focusing at f/8 in bright sun was a real
problem, even on a tripod.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Ross+Image+of+Snowball.jpg.html

Next, I chose a Pentax Takumar 135/3.5 with an extension tube to allow closer
focus, mounted on the E-510.  This lens is from the latter days of the M42
Spotmatic, and is usually very sharp.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Takumar+Image+of+Snowball.jpg.html

Comments and critiques welcomed.

Jim Nichols