Re: [OM] Missing in action . . . and OT Mac question @ Bob, and All

Subject: Re: [OM] Missing in action . . . and OT Mac question @ Bob, and All
From: orink@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 10:43:55 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
  My Sony ICD MX-20 pocket recorder wasn't supposed to work with 4 gig cards,
but it does.  But I tried an 8 gig card this year, and while it loads, there is
an on-off stutter during the recording. I thought the recorder was faulty, but
having other MX-20s, I started substituting cards, and found they all work fine
with 4 gig and smaller cards, but all "stutter" with any 8 gig card. Nuts !!

  On a more positive note, I just got back from what I hope will be a "Fang"
discovery of a male Pileated Woodpecker working on a dead tree.  I had seen a
similar-sized hole on the other side of the tree during my annual Jan-March
pre-leaves search for holes and busy woodpeckers making new holes.

Dressing in full camo gear, ( Bugs-Off from Orvis, etc., is treated material
which works for both mosquitos & Ticks ) I staked out the hole from a ditch,
using a padded canoe seat. Two hours later, up comes the male and starts
working. I can't see what he's doing because I'm on the old hole side of the
tree.  After an hour, he gives a series of calls, soon answered from the north,
and up comes the Mrs. - to advise him on where she wants the pictures, I hope.

  I stay quiet, take a few snaps, and they both spook. When I get home, my
quick pics are too dark, because of the bright sky background, but I have big
hopes for the future observation of a nesting pair in the wild.  And, of
course, I grabbed a recorder with the wrong card still inside, so the call
sound is botched, too.

  But I have great expectations...
  And, I just came back from a California visit with my brother's OM 600mm
Prime...        :)