Re: [OM] Missing in action . . . and OT Mac question

Subject: Re: [OM] Missing in action . . . and OT Mac question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2012 14:30:38 -0700
On 4/7/2012 8:46 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> You will see a similar claim made about 32 bit Windows, that it only
> supports 3GB.  However, the claim only pertains to the amount of user
> addressable memory, not the system limitation.  The hardware and OS
> actually support 4GB as would be expected of something capable of
> supporting 3GB (which need 32 address lines just like 4GB).  The
> difference between the total system memory and the user space is used by
> the OS.  But in Windows there is a little known software switch that can
> be set that allows up to 3.5GB user space as long as 4GB is installed
> allowing the system to take 0.5GB for itself.

Yes, I've played with all that. In fact, with most contemporary configurations,
there is very little more than 3GB
available anyway, for both OS and apps. Remember, every device with its own
memory, esp. video cards, needs address
space in that 4GB address range. Research when I bought my current desktop led
me to believe that if I put in 4GB, I
would simply be wasting 80-90% of the top 1GB, so I put in only 3GB.

I've been browsing. looking to find the right 64 bit machine with 16GB of RAM.
I found almost the perfect one, but not
quite. It has only two fast SATA III 6Gb/s SATA ports and comes with 6Gb/s SSD
primary drive and 1TB HD. No room for my
fantasy of a 6Gb/s 128 GB SSD for the PS cache and image(s) being worked on.

Speed Thrills Moose