Re: [OM] Missing in action . . . and OT Mac question

Subject: Re: [OM] Missing in action . . . and OT Mac question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2012 14:45:54 -0700
On 4/7/2012 7:22 AM, David Thatcher wrote:

> My second computer was a Z80 CP/M machine built on veroboard and I had
> about  48K of RAM available  after the BDOS&  BIOS- and I was very happy
> using things like Wordstar (to produce all my TAFE (college)
> assignments)&  exploring the functions of things like Multiplan.

I never did understand all the fuss about Visicalc. I preferred Multiplan.

> I find that the 32-bit limitation of 3.5G(-ish) is quite enough for what
> I do with my UNIX machine (even running the GIMP), but my w7-64bit
> machine with 4G gets close to running out after 3 or 4 days running
> doing basically nothing.

It is possible to clean up memory without rebooting.

When I get intensive with PS for some time, it eventually gets sluggish and
there is too much cache activity. I then
close it and run the memory defragment piece of System Mechanic. In addition to
always freeing up a few GBs of memory,
it reorganizes it. Back into PS and everything is copacetic again.

PS, memory leaks? No, of course not! :-)

Memories Are Made of Moose