[OM] 5D dust cleaning, was: Happy ...

Subject: [OM] 5D dust cleaning, was: Happy ...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 09:27:02 -0400
Concerning 5D dust, I've been meaning for some time to post some praise
for the LensPen SensorKlear.
<http://www.amazon.com/Lenspen-LENSK1-Sensorclear-Dslr-Cleaner/dp/B000I30HOS/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1333976771&sr=1-3>

You've all heard me praise the brush method of cleaning in the past and
that's my preferred method since it's simple and usually effective.  But
sometimes the crud is just welded to the sensor and something more is
needed.  The last time the sensor needed a cleaning I had to resort to
PecPads and Eclipse.  But even then I wasn't happy as wet cleaning still
seemed to leave some small spots and debris behind visible at f/11 even
after several tries.

I had a SensorKlear and had used it once before but was unhappy since it
too seemed to leave debris behind.  So I decided to try again but
got more vigorous with the scrubbing.  Sure enough it had left debris
behind but I noticed that the debris was large and black... parts of the
scrubber's soft foam rubber surface worn off I think.  Anyhow those
large foam bits were easily cleaned up with a brush and blower.  Much to
my surprise, after the blower and brush treatment, the sensor tested
perfectly clean to f/22... a cleanliness level I have never previously
achieved and cleaner than when it came back from Canon after having the
mirror attachment modified after a Canon recall.  Perhaps it was good to
f/32 as well but the lens I was using for the test doesn't go that small.

I used a fair amount of pressure when using the SensorKlear and was a
little bit concerned about scratching or marring the surface but none
such occurred.  It certainly could occur if you got the tip contaminated
somehow so it pays to be careful with it.  But I'm a happy camper.  It
did what I haven't been able to do using other means.

Chuck Norcutt