Re: [OM] 5D dust cleaning, was: Happy ...

Subject: Re: [OM] 5D dust cleaning, was: Happy ...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 12:50:12 -0700
I too have a Lenspen Sensorclear, as well as a couple of their regular
lenspens. And I have a brush prepared according
to the instructions from his last recommended technique.

I've not been that happy with the brush. Last time I used it, I slipped
slightly off the sensor and got some slight
amount of oily stuff on one side of it - and on the sensor. That all took a bit
of fuss to clear up.

The Sensorclear seems simpler and more reliable to use. One does have to get
used to the idea that it oozes the cleaning
compound through the cleaning surface and if it is clean, it is actually safe
to press fairly hard. If unsure, you can
try it on a piece of glass or plastic first, to be sure there is no scratching.

I believe the black residue Chuck refers to is this cleaning compound. It's odd
seeming, but I've used their Lenspen
quite vigorously - at first on a junk lens - with absolutely no surface/coating
damage, just a very clean lens. The
compound seems more like graphite than a liquid or gel in consistency.

My quick clean solution violates all advice from everyone. The real problem
with the blowers is that they are just too
wussy. I use a partially used can of Dust-Off, held upright, so no liquid will
come out, and blast the blazes out of the
overall mirror compartment, finishing up with the sensor. So far, no damage and
a quick, effective cleaning each time. I
reserved the Sensorclear pen for anything that is still stuck, and only for
that/those spot(s).

Although there was a lot of talk about how poorly Canon's dust removal system*
performed when it first came out. It
appears that either the naysayers were wrong or Canon, in it's usual dogged
way, has have corrected that. I have yet to
have any dust problem on the 60D after almost a year and over 6,000 shots, most
out in the field. Far less trouble than
with the 5D with similar shooting usage.

I just have to remember to turn the 60D off and on occasionally, as it only
cleans at those two times. My usual use
pattern with all my DSLRs has been to simply leave them on and asleep all the
time.

C. Whistle Moose

* And those others that relied on shaking their IS sensors sideways. The reason
THAT doesn't work very well is simple
physics. The accelerations are too small, too low in frequency and in the wrong
direction.