Re: [OM] Seriously, who needs a Noctilux?

Subject: Re: [OM] Seriously, who needs a Noctilux?
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 10:30:27 +0200
Hi Moose -

On 10 Apr 2012, at 6:53 AM, Moose wrote:

>> Receding Tables
>> http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/100/0/7/receding_tables_by_philosomatographer-d4vpnqt.jpg
>
> Being a poor judge of character, in lenses, at least, I just don't
> see what's special that the lens has done for this
> subject. I'll put it down to the scan and web display, so I won't
> feel too bad. ;-)

Well, it's a 50/1.2! Not many other ways to get this shallow DOF and
angle of view. Also, it's a
conventional spherical lens designed in ~1982, which actually doesn't
fall to pieces shot wide open,
and renders soft and even bokeh *compared to* its predecessor (55/1.2)
and most other fast 50mm
lenses. Also, this entire sequence was really a quick bunch of test
shots done in the scope of two
days to see that the lens is functioning well. But for the smallest
50/1.2 out there - a very nice
performance I think. And the lens itself is a thing of beauty.

>> Neighborgoods Market Alley
>> http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/100/a/c/neighborgoods_market_alley_by_philosomatographer-d4vppa0.jpg
>
> Is that guy carrying a film camera!? Something odd going on around
> his head and arm.

It's called blurring because of insane shallow DOF, and some off-axis
aberration (he's right on the frame edge).
Yes, he's carrying an OM-1 :-)

>> What's keeping her?
>> http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/100/4/f/what__s_keeping_her__by_philosomatographer-d4vpek4.jpg
>
> Again, my selective vision sees nothing special contributed by the
> lens. It wows you, so ignore the barbarian!

Nah, the rendering in this particular image does not wow me.

>> Lord of fake mice
>> http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/100/a/6/lord_of_fake_mice_by_philosomatographer-d4vpmz0.jpg
>
> Quite wonderful.

>> Ah, as a bonus, during the same outing that I made most of the
>> pictures above, I could not resist this charismatic scene:
>>
>> http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/100/f/0/peddling_goods_by_philosomatographer-d4vpest.jpg
>> (taken at 21mm)
>
> Sheesh*, what a barbarian I must be. I want to see all the color. :-)

I wish I could switch on my B&W film's color mode...

Dawid