Re: [OM] Seriously, who needs a Noctilux?

Subject: Re: [OM] Seriously, who needs a Noctilux?
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 22:34:34 +0200
On 10 Apr 2012, at 8:59 PM, Ken Norton wrote:

> Not necessarily so It may seem a lot tougher, but is it really? I'd
> suggest that the Zuikos aren't wimpy at all. They are smartly
> engineered. Also, relatively weather resistant. I've rain drenched my
> gear many times. My 100/2.8 had a HUGE impact with a vehicle. Neither
> of which has affected it at all.

In my experience, if there is one thing the Olympus lenses aren't,
it's really tough.
Compared to cheap plastic lenses maybe, but I have *lightly* bumped
both my 50/1.4 and 24/2, causing massive front filter ring damage
(more than just slight bending, I am talking
about spectacular bending). Was quite difficult to fix so that I could
attach filters again.

I have never tried to destroy my Canon EF L-series lenses when I had
them, so comparison is difficult, but (as noted before) the Zuikos
arean't a patch compared to the old manual-focus
Nikkors, which become neither stiff (over time), nor do they offer any
more or less resistance when, for example, squeezing the focusing ring
when focusing.

The Zuikos are nice, but obviously compactness / weight took centre
stage ahead of durability.

Note that this does not apply to the 250/2.0, the only Zuiko I've
handled that really feels to be constructed bulletproof - it's in a
different class of solidity, but of course, one pays the price
in weight.

Ken, thanks for your report on Zuikos getting wet (in the rain). I
always wondered about that, with the later bodies being weather-sealed
with gaskets, but the same never being applied to the lenses. I'll
certainly not be afraid to get them wet if the opportunity calls for it!

Dawid