Re: [OM] Happy ...

Subject: Re: [OM] Happy ...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 14:12:40 -0700
On 4/10/2012 5:12 AM, Joel Wilcox wrote:
>> ... My favorite bleeding heart shot is special because I recall taking on
>> the porch outside the Ansel Adams gallery in
>> Yosemite. :-)
>> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Yosemite/pages/02043032.htm>
>>
>> Film shot, maybe 35-105/2.8 Tammy.
> Two things:  Great composition.  Always hard to manage the greenery as
> you have done.

Why thank you!

> The lens:  EOS mount?  Do you still use it on the 5D?
> If so, how well does it work for you?

It's a Tamron SP Adaptall-2 mount, so can be mounted on pretty much anything
with the right Adaptall-2 adapter. I like
the extra stop of speed over the Zuiko 35-105/3.5-4.5 and the extra reach
compared to the Z. 35-80/2.8. I realize the
error of my ways, in that it isn't made with magic Unobtanium, like the 35-80.
But then I didn't find the 90/2 I had to
be magic.

It shares with the 35-80 less close focus than I would like, common with fast
zooms of that era. I'm not even sure
that's the lens I used. It was an overcast, drizzly/rainy day early (wonderful
light/atmosphere), just starting to clear
when I took the bleeding heart shots - hence the droplets, so I know I had the
Tammy on the OM-4 earlier, and I don't
think the 50/1.4 would have the same bokeh, but I'm still guessing at the lens
a little, as I don't have notes. I think
all I had with me were Z. 28/2 & 50/1.4 and Tammy 35-105 and 60-300.

I don't believe I have used it on the 5D. I have way too many MF zooms and have
mostly only used OM mount primes on the 5D.

Mike G. has often used one as his walk around lens, as demonstrated here.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=SFBayArea/MandM/2-Tilden&image=_MG_4412ii.jpg>
 As I
recall, his only complaint is edge softness at the wide end(?). He may well
know more about how it works on 5D, albeit a
MkII.

> I've had my eye out for one of those (though not looking too hard). I like
> that zoom range quite a bit.
>   On a vacation trip, I could probably shoot 95% of my photos with a lens of
> that range.

Other than speed, the Zuiko 35-105/3.5-4.5 is, I believe, as good or better a
lens, and focuses closer. I don't recall
it getting a lot of play on the list, compared to more exotic lenses, but it is
a very fine lens - and looks gorgeous on
a black OM. :-)   On a 5D, the ISO flexibility and quality at higher ISOs make
the extra stop of the Tammy far less of
an issue that it was with film. The only reason I can think of to prefer the
Tammy would be for shallower DOF.

I've always had an eye for vignettes from the broad visual field, close-ups and
long tele shots, so I highly value long
FLs and macro ability. We're in the Bridalveil Falls parking, and I'm taking a
shot of an unnamed little cirque on the
opposite side of the valley.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Yosemite/pages/02043A24l.htm> Others are
shooting the
astonishing full height of El Capitan, and I'm taking a 300mm close-up of the
top.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Yosemite2ip/pages/020501_03.htm>  I and
others are taking the classic shot from the
Wawona Tunnel overlook
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Yosemite2ip/pages/020428-29_25.htm>, and I
turn around and take
a 300mm shot of an ephemeral waterfall on the rim behind us.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Yosemite2ip/pages/020428-29_22.htm> Or a
super-tele of Half-Dome.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Yosemite/Yosemite_2011/Yosemite_Valley&image=_MG_0382oof80m.jpg>

I've learned a lot on this list, not least of which is how to use WAs, but I
still want reach and macro, too, so 35-105
with 1:4 is a bit frustrating for me. 28-300 on APS-C is pretty good, 480 mm
eq. at the long end, and it gets in close,
too.