Re: [OM] Seriously, who needs a Noctilux?

Subject: Re: [OM] Seriously, who needs a Noctilux?
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 11:36:26 +0200
Moose, thank you - the effort, and the reasons behind it - it is much
appreciated :-)

You put me in a very difficult position, you know. The types of image
I have been posting
(*here* - I post medium and large format elsewhere) are bound by two
constraints:

- Small, compact cameras to carry around everywhere, and capture
moments largely unnoticed
- I shoot B&W film, and I print in the darkroom. Now, my prints look a
heck of a lot smoother than the scans I post here, because they are
not digitally sharpened.

You are basically saying that I simply cannot use OM Zuikos to realise
my vision properly? Because, much as I also have the ability to
digitally smooth my backgrounds (I have been doing hard-core digital
imaging including 3D modeling, animation, 2D illustration, HDR, etc
since I was 15), I did not get into traditional photography just to
mess with the image structurally in the digital realm. That's not what
it's about for me.

I would perhaps ask you, which fast 35mm lenses would actually suit
your tastes in terms of smooth out of focus rendering? Even my large-
format lenses are an odd mix of good and bad bokeh, but in 35mm it
seems to be basically impossible to find a fast lens that you agree
with? Even Leica M lenses can be tricked in to producing horrible
bokeh, but it seems I should sell all my gear and save up for a
Noctilux ASPH 50/0.95 (contrary to the title of my original post,
funnily enough...). Even there, it might be a let-down. The Zeiss C-
SOnnar 50/1.5 is very nice, 80% of the time. Can be bad as well.

At this time, only the Heliar 50mm f/3.5 - which has inherently deep
DOF - does the trick it seems :-)

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/100/1/7/a_grandmother_taken_for_tea_by_philosomatographer-d4vns42.jpg
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/100/7/1/contessa_interiour_by_philosomatographer-d4vnsgv.jpg
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/100/3/4/breakfast_for_one_by_philosomatographer-d4vns9f.jpg
(all three at f/3.5 - see the problemtic deep DOF for my style of work?)

Even the Nikkor-H.C 50mm f/2.0 I shoot in my F is bloody awful most of
the time bokeh-wise:
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/077/0/b/treasures_in_the_corner_by_philosomatographer-d4t4hfq.jpg

Though it can be wonderful sometimes - if there are no highlights in
the background.

I find it very interesting that you honestly think it matters all that
much - that the emotional connection
with the image is altered by bokeh smoothness. Not disagreeing, just
finding it interesting :-)

Dawid