[OM] Seriously, who needs a Noctilux?

Subject: [OM] Seriously, who needs a Noctilux?
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 13:49:17 -0400 (EDT)
I strongly believe the Samyang (rokinon) 85/1.4 aspheric is a "wide
open lens." It is quite cheap as things go with excellent performance
wide open. It massively punches above its weight ( added esp for Moose
as he likes that characterization ;-)) ) wide open but is destroyed by
the competition stopped down. The MTF does improve a bit stopped down
but is not competitive there. It's bokeh and wide open performance are
its selling points.

The Lens "Don King,"
 Mike

As to the "improving while stopping down" aspect. I'm not sure I
totally agree with you there. I'm not a lens designer so I can't speak
to specifics, but there are lenses which are known to be "wide-open"
lenses and underperform other lenses when stopped down. I think Leica
makes a couple of those.

AG