Re: [OM] IMG: Semana Santa 2012

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Semana Santa 2012
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 16:27:29 -0400
The people who founded the Klan (I'm talking about the 1915 Klan that
adopted the robes and pointy hoods) were upper middle class businessmen,
educated people. It shows how attitudes toward race have changed in the
last century. It used to be very respectable to look down on Blacks and
hate Jews, though antisemitism has never been as popular or as violent as
hatred for Black people in the USA. Back in the 1920s, more than 1/3 of
Indiana's state legislators belonged to the KKK, and many small towns had
signs on the edge of town warning Blacks that they were not welcome (and
the signs usually had the N-word on them!). Many towns still had their
signs into the 1960s.

Today, the KKK is made up almost entirely of uneducated people from the
lower classes; no respectable businessman or politician would ever join
the Klan. Its not respectable anymore. Things are getting better! Today's
Klansmen probably couldn't find Spain on a map, but the group's founders
nearly a century ago certainly could.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography