Re: [OM] (OM) OT ... Sacrilege? Sedition??

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT ... Sacrilege? Sedition??
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 08:47:26 +1000

> the happy part.  For me to be happy I had to have "enough."  For some
> there is never enough.  It is important to have an "enough."  When I  got to
> mine, I retired.

Plato argued that fulfilling all your desires is like trying to keep a leaky
jar full. You are working constantly at a pointless task. Fix the leak.

> Teachers don't get paid much in dollars, however facilitating  a student's
> discovery of who they are and what is possible in their life is  priceless.
> I'm investing part of my "enough" to be able to do that as an  adjunct at a
> local college or university.   Bill Barber

That's the big lie, the 'it's not a job, it's a vocation' rubbish that is used
to keep down the wages of social service workers like teachers, nurses,
emergency service workers and so on. Yes, there is the opportunity for some
magic moments but so there is in any job (like photographer). But an awful lot
of the the time it's just a daily grind like any other job (being shut in a
room with 25+ unco-operative 14 year olds on a Friday afternoon or, for a
nurse, literally cleaning up the s**t).  It's a lie that's related to the
medieval 'storing up treasures in heaven' lie. I'm sure that being a hedge fund
manager has its moments of triumph for self and client and it pays a helluva
lot better for far less socially valuable work.

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com