Re: [OM] My town on the news

Subject: Re: [OM] My town on the news
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 07:37:26 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> There was zero warning. Trees flying past was the only notice
> we got. There was some heavy rain and light hail within the
> minute before it hit, Totally rain-wrapped.
>
> What was unusual was that we were carefully monitoring the
> radar and there was nothing to indicate a problem. It didn't
> go supercell until it hit us.  Then it became a pretty ugly
> thing on the radar as it marched across the state. We had
> just got back to the house a few minutes earlier as we went
> storm chasing one that passed two miles to the north.

     I monitor weather through a variety of resources along with a few other
weather watchers.  My impression is that today may be worse than yesterday due
to the interaction of three major features in the weather right now, being an
advancing cold front with a squall line just ahead of it, a large region of
high pressure centred over SE Georgia, and a strong influx of warm subtropical
moisture moving northward between the two.

     The squall line is presently extended from south-central Texas to
north-central Missouri, with the strongest activity over Joplin, MO.  One of
the other weather watchers, who lives in Norman, OK sent me a URL for a really
nice weather product from Environment Canada that overlays radar returns over
Google Earth:

<http://www.koco.com/weather/grid.html#HEARSTWX=http%3A//www.koco.com/weather/16749058/iframe.html%3Fqs%3D%3Blongname%3DRadar%3Bshortname%3DRadar>

Chris