Re: [OM] My town on the news

Subject: Re: [OM] My town on the news
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 07:30:12 -0500
Since one's chances of being hit by a tornado are so rare, insurance
must do.  You could never buy or sell a house that was tornado-proof,
and you probably wouldn't want to live in one either.  Most tornadoes
don't actually do any damage. They get reported in sheer numbers and it
gives one a sense of the scale of the weather change.  I was talking
with a guy in Hawaii about the relative dangers of hurricanes vs
tornadoes.  We both thought the other guy had it worse.  The mind is its
own place.

Joel W.

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012, at 02:12 PM, Dawid Loubser wrote:
> Ken, as somebody who lives in a country with no natural disasters
> (other than that caused by 90% of the population) I am relieved that
> you are all OK, and personally can't imagine what living in a
> tornado-swept country is like.
>
> One thing that has always bothered me: Why on earth has tornado-
> and hurricane-country USA never bothered to invent hurricane-proof
> houses? You can't tell me it's not possible. It's easy to build an
> aircraft that can stably *fly* 200 miles per hour (nay, 2000
> miles per hour!) so why can't people build dwellings that
> simply have to remain stationary (and not be destroyed)
> by a 100 - 200 mph wind? Every year people go through the
> agony and cost of repairing damage, when human ingenuity
> and will-power could easily result in a design of house that
> does not need to be repaired every year. So what if it costs
> 4 times as much? It will be much cheaper in the long run.
>
> I don't understand the economics / people over there, so I
> am just speculating.
>
> regards,
> Dawid

                          wherever you are