Re: [OM] My town on the news

Subject: Re: [OM] My town on the news
From: "Bill Pearce" <billcpearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:13:55 -0500
It is quite possible to build a house that would be "tornado-resistant"
(tornado-proof would be a statement awaiting proof), but the cost would put
it out of the market in most places It is quite possible to build a house
that is resistant to all but the most destructive hurricanes, and I
understand that many of the discovered measures are now a part of building
codes in coastal areas. It could be very easy to build a tornado-resistant
house where I live (one of the cities hit last Saturday night), and I
believe a few have been built. The  quick answer is reinforced concrete
construction, and it has other advantages as well, but it is important to
know that we have reduced the costs of building  wood-framed homes to the
point that there is no market for safer construction. It is possible to
build  tornado-safe rooms in the center of a frame house, and that is now
more common.

Ironically, in the housing section of the local paper SATURDAY MORNING,
there was an article about one of the homes in this year's Parade of Homes,
an annual event by new home builders, about a new concrete home built using
Insulated Concrete Forms, a very durable form of energy saving construction.
The house is said to be able to withstand winds of up to 200 MPH, more than
most experienced Saturday Night. The house is built to  look like other
traditional homes in the development, and looks like a typical McMansion.
The house is listed at $580,000, about a $35,000 premium over conventional
construction, and the contractor says there is a 5-9% premium for concrete
over wood. Note, though that it is more energy efficient, and resistant to
bug invasions. I suspect the premium is offset by the lack of need for
yearly termite treatments. Were I in the new house market, I would do this.
I remember seeing on TV a house that remained standing after a LA wildfire.
It was a concrete house in a sea of wood framed houses. Bet there weren't
many ore built after the fire. Remember, our houses are built as they are
because it is an east way to build houses quickly and cheaply using largely
unskilled low paid labor.

Bill Pearce