Re: [OM] My town on the news

Subject: Re: [OM] My town on the news
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 09:16:08 +1000
We have cyclone resistance regulations - ratings TC-1, 2 and 3 (tropical
cyclone) - depending where in the north of Australia you live. These are
compulsory - I've helped build a TC-2 steel garage with a friend in Queensland.
The internal refuge is a common approach - cellars are virtually unknown here.
Close to me a Bushfire resistant dwelling is more relevant and the same applies
as with you - we can do it, a concrete construction is the best way but with no
compulsory building regulations, people will not build them for reasons of
cost, habit, culture and aesthetics. When my mother-in-law was burned out in a
major fire in the '80's, the entire town was levelled and those who returned
built exactly the same style of flimsy timber structures. They won't even
bother to put a bunker in the garden - an Anderson shelter approach would work
well.
Andrew Fildes (who does have a cellar!)
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com