Re: [OM] My town on the news

Subject: Re: [OM] My town on the news
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 19:41:48 -0400
Your maximum tornado strength has been F3 and you've had 3 of them, 1 in
1969 and 2 in 1972.  You've had 14 F2 tornadoes which stretch from 1916
to 1986.  With the exception of the 1 in 1916 the rest are clustered
between 1949 and 1986 which also takes in the F3s.  Interestingly, all
have occurred at the low side of the temperature cycle of the Pacific
Decadal Oscillation (PDO).  The PDO has a very rough cycle of about 30
years.  Just about that much time has gone by since the last cooling
cycle and the PDO appears to be entering another cool period.  I just
happened to notice the correlation with the PDO but have no idea if it's
really involved or not.  But if it is you could be in for more tornadoes
in this coming cycle.

But, if there's any relationship with global warming, it's awfully hard
to see as there's no attendant increase of frequency or severity with
rising global or northern hemisphere temperatures.

"Tipping points"???  More non-scientific and unfalsifiable speculation.

Chuck Norcutt