[OM] DLO version of DPP now up on Canyon USA site

Subject: [OM] DLO version of DPP now up on Canyon USA site
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 19:59:12 -0400 (EDT)
Eagle-eyed list logician Moose writes:

>As you say, the interface is kludgey and 100% sample rendering slow,
so one
>can't switch back and forth between settings
>without a wait long enough to let visual memory fade ...

>Also, it tends to make noise more visible, even at low ISO. My usual
work flow
>uses NeatImage before FocusMagic, to keep
>the deconvolution from acting on the non-lens data.

Yep it is slow in the rendering even on i7 screamer with tons of RAM.
The noise thing is there. Instead on my own few  crummy examples here
is onedemonstrating the increase in sharpness/resolution and the noise
issue:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1105550/2

DXO is smarter in having a default Raw level noise reduction prior to
deconvolution. Still DLO has some features that DXO can't do like the
reverse processing of the AA filter.

Chuck Westfall says:"Adjustments are made for such aspects as spherical
aberration, chromatic aberration, astigmatism, curvature of field,
sagittal halo, chromatic aberration of magnification, axial chromatic
aberration, diffraction, and the effects of a low-pass filter in front
of the CMOS sensor. DPP’s Digital Lens Optimizer will be usable with
any of 29 compatible lenses initially. It works with .CR2 files from
EOS models released since 2006 (EOS 30D and forward)."

The RAW files get giant (I think about 50MB) after the DLO--seems to
save two versions to speed things up as you can click the DLO on or off.
Too bad they couldn't license an Adobe Plug-in. The corners on the
24-105 at the long end wide open do benefit immensely.
Perhaps export the tiff to PS after DLO and layered NI  etc would yield
an excellent result.  (hint) The capture sharpening in DPP seems rather
too blunt a tool as well with at least a cursory analysis.  Interesting
that they try and rescue the diffraction effects--though much data is
just plain gone with diffraction effects which should be the same as
convoluting with a circular PSF --unlike others which are more
forgiving in allowing recovery of data.
DLO may be a diamond  enmbedded in a clunky program.

Not convinced Moose will give it a total thumbs down yet, Mike