Re: [OM] Neck and shoulder

Subject: Re: [OM] Neck and shoulder
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 23:02:23 +1200
Ken, in 1956, as a raw forestry trainee I was sent out to climb pine trees for
seed.  Reaching out too far in a Corsican pine, a branch snapped and I fell
23 feet, sweeping all branches before me.
Fortunately, I landed flat on my back, on a bed of branches.

I was OK for a week, then the next morning I was in agony with back pain.
Any movement.
X-rays showed no bone damage, so it must have been all muscle and
cartilage etc damage.  It slowly came right but I had to be very careful with
lifting and years later games such as tug-of-war which would invariably lead
to trouble.

The zone of damage is in the pelvic region and maybe a little above.

What I've found is that gym exercises and the like really work wonders. For
example, prior to going to England in the 1960's to Uni, I did a lot of a
certain
kind of physical contract work ( in this case it was manually peeling the bark
off large D. fir and larch tree to be used as electricity and telegraph poles
using a Swedish drawknife - something like a spokeshave). After a few
months doing this in my weekend time, I had a very strong back, thighs and
arms such that I could easily lift the end of a piano and walk away with it.

Later, I started doing judo, and a good level of fitness and strength came in
real handy; not least to avoid injury when being thrown. ( I got to green belt
in 2 years)
Gym work 3 times a week with a rowing machine, various weights machines
and so on strengthened my back, torso, legs and arms very well. I thought I
was not at all renowned for having strong arms as mine are rather thin.
Then one day I overheard one of my judo friends telling another to watch out
for my arms as they were strong enough to be a bother ...!

Serious gym work is effective with rehab of soft tissue injury in my
experience.

Brian Swale.