Re: [OM] Alt Dot Moose

Subject: Re: [OM] Alt Dot Moose
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 10:16:08 -0500
Fuzzy Antlers Moose wrote:
> I'm sorry you see it that way. I am, in fact, trying on new antlers for
> fit.

Actually, I see that effort. I actually liked the photo. Frankly, it
is a bit more interesting than the standard world of realism you try
to achieve in your photographs. Not that realism isn't important--I do
that all the time in my event photography, but realism isn't always
associated with artistry. Blown highlights, for example, can be a
method of artistry. Blurry stuff is also a method of artistry.

> I'm certainly not trying to jerk anybody's chain. The wasn't part of the
> Visual Conundrum series. It is part of an effort to find new ways to make
> different images that affect viewers differently.

Understood. Granted, you used a natural effect to achieve an unnatural
effect. (does that make sense?). But the effect is still one of visual
interest. Honesty, I didn't spot it until I viewed the image on my
cellphone and it appeared upside down when the screen did an awkward
auto-rotate.

> I've never shown any
> but limited talent in using art media to
> create images. Perhaps there's a talent there I haven't discovered. But I do
> know how to use a camera and edit images ...

I suspect that it has more to do with you allowing yourself to do it.
I see in you a person with artistic talents (that's obvious based on
how you think and are able to identify seemingly radically
disconnected elements and bring them together in a cohesive and
logical relationship. Come on, anybody who braids his beard ain't
"normal", so give yourself the freedom to get out of your skin and do
stuff you've never done before. Paint with your toes or something. :)

> With skill and luck
> many painters, etc. have managed to not only do that, but sometimes
> illuminate something about the viewer to the viewer.

Some say that this is the truest form of "art". I don't know. But it
is true that the most successful forms of art have had a direct
connection with the personalities of the viewers. Success doesn't
necessarily define purity. Commercial success means connecting with
the viewer's wallet, not with their mind.

> My aspirations are as yet modest, but I am making an effort.

Everywhere a start. Besides, YOU are your most important viewer in
this. You aren't creating art for others, you are doing it for
yourself. First and foremost, the illumination of something isn't
about the viewer, but about the artist. What you WILL find, however,
is that your art will connect with others who have the same or similar
struggles or attitudes as you.

AG