Re: [OM] FM review by FM of D800 and OM 5DIII

Subject: Re: [OM] FM review by FM of D800 and OM 5DIII
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 09:34:41 -0500
> 5Dmk2: a very good camera. I had the mk1 and since I updated to the mkII
> last winter I have the feeling this camera will serve me for a long time.

I've used the Mk2 a bit and agree that it is a good camera. The
original 5D is better in some areas, but it pretty klutsy in
comparision. Not many people who have modern Canon bodies of any
sensor size will use their 5D unless necessary. The Mk2, though, is
far more usable. Of course, there is that little issue for me about
the grip shape. The original 5D gives my wrists grief. the Mk2 less so
(but still some). The 7D is actually quite good in this regard.

Moose's suggestion of the 60D is a good one, but I just can't seem to
get along with that camera. Some cameras just don't feel right and
that's one. It's not a bad camera, but for me there is just something
a little off about it. I like the price, I'd want it to work.

Canon is the front-running brand. I know that has to shock a lot of
people to see me say that, but lacking anything serious from the other
brands that I can mount the OM lenses to, what choices do I have? The
Fuji looks great, but I'm questioning the long-term viability of that
system. The E-M5 is the flavor-of-the-day, but has some very
interesting characteristics that give it the "E-1 of the modern era"
feel.

However, my wife's mantra "Just say 'no' to Olympus" is continuing to
ring in my ears. I need to move forward and I really need to look at a
system that I have a reasonable expectation for it to be a very
long-term affair.

But we'll see how much money I get pulled together.

AG