[OM] FM review by FM of D800 and OM 5DIII

Subject: [OM] FM review by FM of D800 and OM 5DIII
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 20:29:36 -0400 (EDT)
AG deserves the latest and greatest.  Nonetheless base ISO  IQ on the
OM 5DIII doesn't seem much changed from the MKII.
I have been following the couple threads on FM on use of chipped
adapters.   It was running 50-50 whether use of the Eg-s screen
on the II led to more keepers with fast lenses wide open vs AF confirm
on the III.  It seems the weight of the evidence is going towards the
latter
if properly adjusted with MA.  Some chips don't work properly with the
III and the dust hasn't settled.  Same thing has happened in the past
with 3rd party lenses as it doesn't appear any company has direct
access to the Canyon protocols, not even Zeiss.

That converted 24-85 seems very very nice but the price had jumped
waaay up and the wait and cost of conversion are up there too.  I
couldn't wait at the time and the combined kit price was too attractive
as well as the IS.    Nice Zeiss rendering and I think a tad sharper
than the 24-105 at the long end and much much better bokeh.  I couldn't
resist a snipe on a C/Y
35-70 that has nice Zeiss micro-contrast but it is not as user
friendly.  Moose was unimpressed it appears. The Z. 35-80 should
perform superbly.
I really like the Z 35 shift on OM and the OM 5DII as well but my copy
flares a bunch if I'm not careful. Perhaps I should have waited to find
a later MC version.
Mike

5Dmk2: a very good camera. I had the mk1 and since I updated to the mkII
last winter I have the feeling this camera will serve me for a long
time.
Live view is fantastic for architecture. Yes, it is big. It has some
quirks, is not as new as the mkIII, but a lot cheaper (second hand) and
for
my manual focus use, the updated AF is not so important. (I've read on
FM
however that the new AF combines well with adapters with AF confirm.
As an architect I like the design even better, not as blobby:)

I must admit I have two AF lenses: the 50mm f1.8 mk 1 canon and a
converted
Conurus Contax 24-85mm.