Re: [OM] (OM) Two new images on FB

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Two new images on FB
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 10:50:06 -0500
> So, expose properly to the right. Then colors remain true and highlight
> recovery isn't needed.
>
> Not a proper point in film vs. digital comparison.

The point I was trying to make is that with BOTH film and digital
images, the response curves of the color layers is not uniform. Each
will clip and activate at different points. Ultimately, if you are
just looking at the resulting grayscale, both technologies will appear
to have a couple more stops of dynamic range than they really do.

With most digital cameras, the red sensels are actually most sensitive
to the lowest light levels, the blue sensels the least. At the other
end, the reds clip first, the greens or blues will clip last. Film is
no different in this regard. If you "normalize" the image to
neutralize the color shifts, you are actually throwing away bits.

Every manufacturer of film or digital cameras does these things a
little differently, so it's impossible to make a blanket statement
(but I'll at least throw a sheet over it).

AG