Re: [OM] OM-D EM-5 review at dpreview

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D EM-5 review at dpreview
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 14:31:23 -0500
> Ken should like the OM-D's film-like tone curve.  Body at $1K is about
> half the cost of a used mkII body!  I hope Olympus sells a ton of them.

Temptation is high, very high. It looks like a VERY nicely spec'd
camera for a thousand bucks. The problem I have with it is the
burned-factor from Olympus. It's hard to get excited about it after
Olympus did the "screw you" routine to the customer base again. The
brain says that the camera is a bargain. The heart is no longer
interested.

As I'm in fundraising mode, I can't guess what I'll end up with yet
until I see what I have to work with. I have a pair of very nice Sanyo
HD security cameras that I'm waiting for the offer on. That should go
a long ways to the new camera. I've already eaten the cost on those
last year, so whatever I sell them for will be rolled directly to the
new camera. The E-1 will bring a couple hundred at best. The DMC-L1 is
a mystery how much that will bring. The 14-50 is half-junk so that is
low-value. I'm tempted to shed the Tokina AT-X 100-300/4 and/or the
Zuiko 200/4. Everything else is pretty well locked down. I'd sell the
A1, but that's almost totally worthless, so I'll just keep it around
for odd-ball stuff and as a backup. Not to say that I don't have cash
to throw at a new camera too, but domestic tranquility demands that by
the end of the day I have fewer cameras than I have now. Since the OM
system is off limits, that means my digital kit gets toasted.

Exciting times. I know I'm finally going to get something and I'm
clueless what it will be.

:)

AG