Re: [OM] OM-D EM-5 review at dpreview

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D EM-5 review at dpreview
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 09:17:27 -0500
Through a Moose blurry wrote:

> Background just sneaking into the range where it would bug me. Then again,
> I'm a little bokeh nuts. You wouldn't believe
> the amount of time I spent masking an image I liked so I could blur the
> background. I didn't mean to, it just sort of
> got out of hand. I do like the result.

I'm convinced that we've been taking the whole concept of bokeh a bit
too far. First of all, the old adage that crop-sensor cameras can't do
the bokeh dance is as false as it comes. Of course, garbage kit zoom
lenses with a maximum of F5.6 aperture don't help matters any, but
that's optics, not format.

I shot many hundreds of photos a couple weeks ago at my big annual
shindig where the 100/2 lived on the E-1. "Bokeh? Youse wanna talk
bokeh?  Here's you bokeh, punk."

Fine-toothed bokeh images usually have nice grab value (no distracting
backgrounds to take away from the primary subject), but it's an
effect. Just like any effect, it can be overused. I'm of the opinion
that it's our current version of the "Cokin Star Filter".

AG