Re: [OM] 120 million for The Scream, but a paltry 200 bucks for a piece

Subject: Re: [OM] 120 million for The Scream, but a paltry 200 bucks for a piece of history
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 11:35:26 -0500
> A big camera body can be like a king-sized bed.  You can stretch and
> relax (if you can get the wife to carry your stuff for you).  Some of
> the hand contortions as depicted with the OM-D concern me a bit.

Which is why I'm definitely not buying it sight unseen. However, I am
suspecting that one of the main problems in those pictures and videos
is that people are trying to use the camera right-handed. Without a
grip, this is a left-hand (palm up) camera. Just like an OM body.

Actually, the OM bodies have contortion issues too. Especially in
regards to the spot metering controls when using a winder or
motordrive. Back in the pre-digital day, this was occasionally talked
about, and Nikon/Canon/Minolta were moving right-hand camera designs
forward. However, some of those early grip cameras (with integral
motordrive bulge) seem pretty aweful today, whereas the brick-shape
cameras still are honored. I can be disturbed once in a while when I
go to press the spot meter botton and hit the shutter instead, but the
plasticy uncomfortable buttons and oddities of the '90s wonderbricks
aren't present.

Ah! "Wonderbricks". I haven't used that term in quite a while.

AG