Re: [OM] OM-D EM-5 review at dpreview

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D EM-5 review at dpreview
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 14:25:52 -0500
> The market for $800 lens adapters is perhaps 10 people.

OK, I'm one of those 10 people who would gladly pay $800. But, by the
same token, there is probably only 20 or 30 people willing to spend
$7000 on a digital rangefinder camera.

Seriously, if somebody from Olympus Skunkworks were to offer me such
an adaptor, I'd pay a premium much higher than $800. Maybe that makes
me one of probably five people in the world. But I doubt that.

If the transaction for a full-frame camera occurs for me in the next
few weeks, then it's all over with and I won't even be one of those
five or ten people.

Just look at the number of people on this list alone (and we're just a
tiny microcosm of Olympus users) who bought Canon 5D bodies because of
the full-frame aspect and the ability to use Zuikos as intended. The
problem is that many of them did so under that original intent but
then ended up buying EOS lenses. Once the EOS lenses were purchased,
these users are now pretty much locked into that system here on out.
Olympus lost out entirely. By attempting to protect their own lens
sales, they marginalized themselves almost entirely out of the
business. Just look how difficult it was for them to even release the
OM-E glassless adapter. It took a near riot for them to understand the
error of their ways.

AG