[OM] Question for you experts

Subject: [OM] Question for you experts
From: "Bob Benson" <bob.benson91@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 10:13:06 -0500
As you may remember,  I've been lurking for, oh, fifteen years and have
thoroughly enjoyed and benefitted from most every discussion.

Now,  I do have a question for you experts.   Has to do with 4/3 and
megapixels.

Background - I do mostly 20 x 24 prints for gallery hanging and sales, and
for the last 5 years or so have used Oly 4/3 with Zuiko's for most.   E-5
and EPL-3 these days.  As you might imagine, highly satisfied.

My question:  I understood the original rationale for 4/3 was the "8 x 10"
print form-factor.   I have understood "full frame" to be useful for the 2/3
print ratios, e.g., 20x30.    My question - if one is targeting the 4/3 as
the outcome print format,  isn't the "effective" megapixel more than the
same number of pixels in "full frame" because one loses the extra width?
That is,  if I use 20x24 compared to 20x30 prints,  don't I lose the benefit
of the "extra" 6x20 pixels,  or about 1/4 (24/6) of them . meaning that 12
MP 4/3 is the equivalent of 16 PM full-frame?  So when Chuck says the OM-D
needs to have more pixels . wouldn't a full-frame equivalent need to be 21MP
or more to be "better" ?

Or . is there something else going on here?

Thanks.

Bob Benson