[OM] IMG: Weekend Desert Wildflower

Subject: [OM] IMG: Weekend Desert Wildflower
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 08:15:04 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     While on a USFS revegetation project this weekend I happened to notice
that a stand of Chaparral Honeysuckle (Lonicera interrupta) was in full bloom.
In previous years the flowering of these shurbs has been pretty disappointing,
but this time they were at their peak and I got a number of nice photos, one of
which is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/7152662961/in/photostream

     This was taken with one of my "mongrel" lenses, a Tokina RMC II 28-85mm
f/4 (constant aperture) plus a 12mm extension tube.  It has no macro or close
focusing function and barefoot will only focus down to 2 1/2 feet.  With a 12mm
extension tube it will focus from 6" to 3', and with a 20mm extension tube
focusing is from 3" to 12".

     This photo of Thurber's Wire Lettuce Stephanomeria thurberi) with insect
appointment was taken using the 20mm extension tube:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/7006619004/in/photostream

     It's a bit of a heavyweight, but it has a very nice solid feel to it.  I
don't know how much I paid for it, but looking at the prices on eBay this
morning I wouldn't even consider one these days.

Chris