Re: [OM] (OM) Fuji Reala 100 asa

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Fuji Reala 100 asa
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 10:15:23 -0500
> Since Ken is a user of Ektar 100 and up til now (and for many years) I have
> been a user of Fuji Superia Reala 100, I was going to ask him what he
> thought of the Fuji cf the Kodak film.

Reala is/was a fantastic film. What I really liked about it was being
able to use it for archetechural photography. I doubt there was a
better film for that application. What I didn't like about the film is
the abnormally dense base making it a more difficult film to scan.
Otherwise, it's great. Blue skies can get a little hokey, though, but
not as much as Portra does at times.

Ektar is a wierd film. I like it for some stuff, but it tends to
remind me of the Konica film that was rebranded for various stores,
back in the 1980s. I'm not sure I would recommend that anybody
standardize on it as a replacement for anything. It's an unique beast.

I suppose that if I were to recommend any one color film above all
other films, it would have to be the latest/greatest Kodak Portra 400.
The grain is as good as 100 and 160 films from not even five years
ago. Simply amazing. The colors are great too. Dynamic range is beyond
the stuff of legends.

In the world of Fujifilms, I'm still a huge fan of 160S. Get it while
you can. It has more grain than Portra 400, but the grain is a little
edgier which contributes to an impression of increased sharpness.
Either way, you won't be disappointed.

AG