Re: [OM] Wabash and Erie Canal near Fort Wayne

Subject: Re: [OM] Wabash and Erie Canal near Fort Wayne
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 11:28:27 -0500
I disagree in several ways, Dawid.  This is Chris' signature style.  I
had maybe a similar first reaction to it and then concluded that it is
exactly what Chris meant to do.  I may not have chosen the subject, but
who determines what is intrinsically interesting or not?  It evokes a
genuine feeling for the Indiana landscape that, through a kind of
minimalism, becomes involving.  The texture in the clouds reminds me of
so many days in the midwest USA that I keep my camera in my bag and wait
for different light, different subject, and a different day. I have to
rethink that as a result of seeing this photo.  Chris captures something
that I rarely see in landscape photography.  I don't think this photo
would work "better" in any other light or circumstances.  It would just
be a different statement.  It is in color, but it is already a kind of
monochrome.

The horizon and the lines leading to it are perfectly drawn and
composed.  They take one to an infinity of flatness.

Joel W.

On Tue, May 8, 2012, at 11:36 AM, Dawid Loubser wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Been a while since you posted any images to the list! With this
> particular image, I'd go back during more interesting lighting, and
> perhaps find a stronger foreground element? For me personally, "empty"
> images should be "really empty", or otherwise, have some strong focal
> point.
>
> The colours / light feel a little too flat to me - if you do want to
> go with this particular image, a souped-up B&W version (to bring out
> the detail in the subtle clouds) might have more impact?
>
> kind regards,
> Dawid
>

> On 08 May 2012, at 9:38 AM, Chris Crawford wrote:
>
> > http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/chris-details.php?prodId=1007&category=4
> >
> > I made this photograph yesterday evening, after I photographed the
> > Turtle
> > Rock.

                          or over the web