Re: [OM] Trust, Verify, And be Ready to Send in the Hounds

Subject: Re: [OM] Trust, Verify, And be Ready to Send in the Hounds
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 11:47:45 -0500
> My experience of life is that seldom is someone else's success  a function
> of my words and deeds, but rather it is their realizing something  isn't
> working in their life, taking absolute responsibility for their
> circumstances and then being willing to do something different in order to
> change the results they were producing.

Wanting to change and putting change into action are two different
things. Most people want to change for the better. Few ever will.
Stasis is comfortable, no matter how uncomfortable the situation.
People are not afraid of failure, but actually afraid of success.This
is one reason why you see people who win lotteries or get other
various financial windfalls revert right back to the mode of poverty
they came from. They'll squander whatever gain they have to return to
a level of their own normalcy. When Jesus said "the poor will always
be among you", this is part of what he was referring to.

> As this relates to others, I take the position of being  available and
> supportive and not enabling folks in a way which perpetuates  what isn't
> working.  This speaks to the boundaries which Ken and his wife  must be
> called on to observe daily.

The difficulty is the 24/7 nature of the ministry. It's far harder on
our kids than it is on us as we demand far more flexibility from them
than would probably be considered fair. And that doesn't even include
the pains of being PKs (pastor's kids) in school. They suffer far more
than we adults do. As hard as you try to isolate them from the trials
and trevails, they get it through proximity and through their own
relationships.

Adults who make poor choices almost without exception were children
that made poor choices. Patterns for life are set early. And if a
person is into substance abuse during their 10-25 age bracket, that
severely diminishes the "logic" ability in their brains. Once missed,
this development cycle of the brain is never to be regained. When
counseling such an adult, it really is hit or miss on whether any
significant life change will become permanent. The comprehension of
the unknown/unrealized does not exist. Life changes are nothing more
than fairy tales.

We are directed to "love the people". That we do. Not always easy, but
it's who we are. Part of that is accepting the fact that each person
has gotten to this point in life through their own unique set of
circumstances. Once in a while, you will see somebody undergo a
fundimental change in their being, but most of the time the
differences are both subtle and fleeting.

That's why this list is important to me. I get to vent with a rather
mundane subject (arcane cameras) and nobody gets hurt.

AG