Re: [OM] How Ken invented aperture priority (and the internet? (was "Re:

Subject: Re: [OM] How Ken invented aperture priority (and the internet? (was "Re: Fungal Friday")
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 11:05:29 -0700
On 5/8/2012 9:24 AM, Joel Wilcox wrote:

> It's all my fault anyway.  This me-too business about A mode began as a
> comment I made on using manual mode with the 5D and chipped adapter for
> Zuikos.  I have no preference for manual mode, but I had no other
> options, or so I thought, in shooting the 5D with my beloved Zuikos.
>
> However, in discovering that one of my adapters -- the Pixco from
> Rainbow Imaging (pray you avoid) -- is defective, I have learned how to
> make the good one from Big_Is work in A mode.

Ah, I didn't realize that's why you were using Manual. Or I would have given
you a heads up. Guess I shouldn't have been
so polite in not questioning you apparent new M love.

My Big-IS adapter has been working fine in Av mode. I do have to lie when using
it with the 600/8, and say it is f5.6,
though or the camera refuses to focus confirm.

> Now Ken implied that people who prefer M mode are superior in some
> mysterious way to those who prefer A mode.  I disagree.  Aperture
> priority is the greatest thing since the invention of the SLR, in my
> opinion, and taking a tip from Walt, I have put a dab of epoxy on each
> of my cameras to secure the dial in A mode.  Not really, but might as
> well have.

I couldn't agree more!

> On OMs that have A mode, ...
>
> So I am deliriously happy that I can now shoot in A mode with the 5D.
> What was good just got so much better. I'm glad I know how to use manual
> mode, but I'm very happy it is not my only option anymore.

Hurray!

Aperture Preferred Moose