[OM] Pixco adapters -bad; Big_IS -good (was "Re: How Ken invented apert

Subject: [OM] Pixco adapters -bad; Big_IS -good (was "Re: How Ken invented aperture priority..")
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 13:59:44 -0500
On Tue, May 8, 2012, at 11:05 AM, Moose wrote:
> > However, in discovering that one of my adapters -- the Pixco from
> > Rainbow Imaging (pray you avoid) -- is defective, I have learned how to
> > make the good one from Big_Is work in A mode.
>
> Ah, I didn't realize that's why you were using Manual. Or I would have
> given you a heads up. Guess I shouldn't have been
> so polite in not questioning you apparent new M love.

See, you thought I was terribly sophisticated, too!

The Pixco adapter I had permanently affixed to the 90/2, which I use a
lot.  I thought there was something I was not getting right in setting
it up so that A mode, or metering in general, never really worked worth
a darn.  I studied up the Big_IS, which I knew metered much better, and
voila, Av mode worked great when I finally understood it.  You may
recall I had mentioned that even with the camera turned off the
write-to-card light would flicker with the Pixco attached?  That gave me
a bad feeling about it -- wholly warranted.

> My Big-IS adapter has been working fine in Av mode. I do have to lie when
> using it with the 600/8, and say it is f5.6,
> though or the camera refuses to focus confirm.

My adapter regularly will confirm focus at 5.6 and occasionally but not
always at 8.  I'm sorry yours won't, but I must say I really don't need
focus confirm with teles, and I'm guessing you probably don't really
either.

Joel W.