Re: [OM] IMG: Piaggio Propulsion Details

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Piaggio Propulsion Details
From: Paul Laughlin <pelaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 12:40:41 -0700
I was assigned to a MATS detachment at Paterson as a radio mechanic.  We
had  the transcontinental passenger run and they were using C-47s since
all C-54s had gone to the Berlin Airlift.  That trip on the B-25 was in
one of those Base Flight aircraft.  A couple of our pilots that lived in
California checked one out to fly home for Thanksgiving.  For some
reason, Base Flight said that they had to have a flight engineer on that
long of a flight.  A friend of mine, who was also from Cal, was
qualified and asked me if I wanted to go along.  A fun weekend.  A day
late getting back, but no repercussions.  On the return trip, it was fun
to lay up in the nose while we kind of birddogged up through the
Sierras.  Beautiful in November.  I was discharged the day after
Christmas, that year.  Reenlisted the next August and stayed to retire
in '68.
Paul in Portland OR