Re: [OM] A more dramatic landscape

Subject: Re: [OM] A more dramatic landscape
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 19:16:03 -0700
On 5/9/2012 4:22 AM, Frank Wijsmuller wrote:
> Actually, this picture and your previous look quite familiair for Dutch
> people. William probably can produce even wider views, as he lives in a
> more rural area.
>
> I've put this one on-line as an illustration<
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/fmw/7164029802/in/photostream/lightbox/>

Lovely, reminds me of BeeGee's Northhampton clouds. Doesn't really seem about
flatness, with those great clouds
dominating. :-)

I hope you don't mind if I hijack your image for a point? In a recent thread
about layers in PS, I felt I had said
enough. But here's a perfect example of a processing problem that layers can
easily avoid.

Right along the skyline, just above the dark horizon, is a thin, rather bright
line. That is an artifact, commonly
called a halo, that results from certain processing at bright/dark boundaries.
In PS, Sharpening, LCE and
Highlight/Shadow tools are the common culprits.

In LR, Aperture, and all the similar apps with all those inventively named
sliders, certain of them often have the same
effect.

In PS, one creates a duplicate layer, selects the sky and creates a mask of it.
Then, whatever one does below that layer
to the land and horizon portion that causes artifacts in the sky is simply
covered by the layer on top. No halo.

One may also work on the sky layer separately, with Levels, Curves, Brightness
and Contrast as the safest tools.
Sometimes, a bit of LCE works without casing trouble. Again, it's easiest to
work on duplicates of the sky layer.

Layered Moose