Re: [OM] (OM) OT Monochrome Leica digital camera

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Monochrome Leica digital camera
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 18:34:19 +0200
On 15 May 2012, at 3:26 PM, Ken Norton wrote:

>> As such, nearly all people who will buy the M-Monochrom will
> also have a standard color version too.

Fair enough, Ken, but a $15,000 outlay for two cameras fitted with
what are by a country mile the worst sensors this side of a Nikon 1 -
and that does not include your $7,000 50mm f/2.0 lens yet - is
insanity. It's not about haves and have-nots. As a software architect,
I'm pretty much at the top of my game here in South Africa, including
being published. I have a well-paying job by local standards. I drive
a nice, classic Mercedes-Benz. I am on my way to actually owning the
(granted, small) house I live in. And I am a photography nut, who
absolutely goes against the mainstream. I should *totally* be the
target market for this camera, yet I wouldn't dream of spending this
silly money on such a crippled device with such an artificially-
inflated price.

I don't think this move has been that brilliant for them, I think this
may formally signify Leica's move away from photographic tools and
pure luxury goods.

Well, I may be proven wrong - and I do love the Leica M system (the
film cameras), but I am not at all impressed with what they have done
here. Or more precisely, the *way* that they have done it. I could
never, ever, ever give my money to a product that has a joke of a
press release like the M-M. It just feels... dirty.

Dawid