Re: [OM] North Rim (was "Re: (OM) OT image stitching / panoramas")

Subject: Re: [OM] North Rim (was "Re: (OM) OT image stitching / panoramas")
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 14:26:44 -0500
On Tue, May 15, 2012, at 09:11 PM, SwissPace wrote:
> I have never been to the USofA but I thought the grand canyon was huge
> so whats with all this North and south rim stuff don't they stretch for
> miles and miles and miles or is there only one vantage spot from each
> side, please excuse my ignorance but I am truly puzzled.

Yes, it stretches for many miles.  The rims provide vantage points both
to view the canyon itself and to get down into it.

The rims themselves are different distances from the river, with the
North rim being about twice the distance from the river.  It seems as
though on the north rim you see more formations and "stuff" in the
canyon because so many of the formations are closer.  But the north rim
is all in all more inaccessible.  It is closed much of the year, whereas
the south rim is always open.  And it is harder to get to some of the
more stunning vantage points on the north because of the roads, etc.
The lodge on the north rim is just a stunner too.  Nothing to compare on
the south.    The south rim is very accessible from Phoenix and points
east and west from there, whereas the north is a bit harder to get to.

The south rim is very rewarding and should not be missed.  But for my
taste that is where I go when the north side isn't yet open.

Joel W.