Re: [OM] IMG: Mother's Day Orchid

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Mother's Day Orchid
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 20:39:42 -0400
If that's the only flash you have you might try something very simple.
Just drape a handkerchief or a tissue (maybe just one layer) over the
flash and let it lay along the lens as well.  Take a shot and see what
it does.  Analyze and adjust if needed.  Alternatively, make a thin,
rectangular cardboard frame from 1/2" wide strips just large enough to
hold an unfolded single layer of tissue.  Tape the tissue to the frame
and hold the frame in front of the flash supported on the lens.

The key to soft flash lighting is large angular diameter relative to the
subject.  That's achieved both by large size but also (and mainly) by
getting the flash/diffuser close to the subject.  But if you get too
close with auto flash control the electronics may not have enough time
to respond.  Remember one foot to the target and another foot back to
the TTL flash sensor is only about 2 nanoseconds.  I have no idea what
the minimum distance spec is for the built-in on the E-510.

Chuck Norcutt